Saturday, September 7, 2013

The Road Trip

As a kid my family went on many road trips across the country. I have fond memories of Navajo tacos in New Mexico from a roadside stand, sleeping in the RV at rest stops, and roaches crawling out of shower drains. Because Emad has never been on a road trip, I thought it would be fun to take one up North to see Lakeport and find a place to live. So, the day after I finished work, we packed up the car and headed North. Over our eight day trip we traveled 1800 miles in 40 hours. Here are some of the trip's highlights and lowlights:

1. 1 Infinite Loop
On our first stop in San Jose, we visited Apple headquarters which is located at 1 Infinite Loop. We only drove around once.

2. Napa Traffic
I will never again drives through Napa on a holiday weekend. The traffic was worse than the 101 on a Friday evening of a holiday weekend.

3. Yogi Bear's Jellistone Campground
Our first night in Lake County was spent camping at Jellistone and I was not impressed. From the pictures online it looked fairly nice; they supposedly had a pond, pool, mini golf, and other fun things to do. But when we got there it turned out to be a pretty sad campground. The pool was green, mini golf was abandoned, and the ponds was a mosquito breeding ground. One neighbor was up early riding quads around the campground, the other one was up late blaring country music. Good thing it was only one night!

4. Lakeport
I like Lakeport. It reminds me of a mix between Gilmore Girl's and Big Bear. We camped at the local state park (with 5 other people), went to a movie (with 7 other people), and drove around the whole lake looking for somewhere to live. Some of the things I noticed is that (1) no one is in a hurry to get anywhere, (2) the sky is so clear that it is impossible to count the stars, and (3) people want to help one another. I know that these are very stereotypical country traits, but from my experience this past week they are true! I can't wait to live in Lakeport!

5. Bugs
I hate bug bites. For some reason I was eaten alive but Emad hardly got any bites. Why is that? I need to remember to be better about putting bug spray on in the future.

I leave you with one question: If you had to pack up everything you owned and move to a new place where you knew no one, could you do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment